Honey is the food item or viscous syrup made by Honey bees. When honey bees extract flower nectar from flowers, this nectar is reacted with the enzymes present in Saliva of Honey bee and formed as Honey.
Properties of Honey
- Honey contains water and Sugars called carbohydrates, fructose, glucose, maltose, melibiose.
- Enzymes are also an important composition of Honey. The enzymes of honey help in the digestion process. Also helps in healing the wounds.
- Along with Water and sugar, honey also contains Minerals and vitamins.
- Minerals include: Phosphorus and Potassium and small amounts of Copper, iron, calcium and magnesium.
- Honey composition also contains Acids which gives honey an acidic PH 3.5-4.5. This property helps the honey to preserve for longtime.
- Also, Honey comprises small amounts of vitamin C and Vitamin B.
- Flavonoids present in Honey acts as antioxidants which helps as fighters for free radicals in the human body. This property prevents us from getting diseased/illness.
Types of honey
Even though there are many classifications for honey, it is majorly classified as raw honey and Pasteurized honey based on its Purity.
Raw Honey: This is the honey that is directly taken from Honey hives. It is natural and contains pollen without any added sugars.
Pasteurized honey: When raw honey is sterilized, purified then that honey is Pasteurized honey. Raw honey is heated so that all the impurities will be removed and added with extra sugars.
Benefits of Honey
Uses of Honey for skin
- Antibacterial properties of honey helps the skin to become pure and reduces the ache problems.
- This antibacterial property also creates glow and complexion for the skin. Thereby it acts as an anti-aging remedy too.
- When honey is mixed with green tea and consumed, the antioxidants present in both honey and green tea play an important role in recreating the skills by fighting with toxic free radicals in the body. These free radicals are the creators for the disease and illness in the human body.
Uses of Honey for face
- Since honey contains antioxidants, antibacterial and antiseptic properties, it removes the blackheads and whiteheads present on the face. Also, it prevents the skin from forming pimples on the face.
- Honey is the best option for the people who are facing dry skin as it moisturizes and soothes the face and makes it appear fresh and clean.
Honey In relieving cough
- Drinking warm water with lemon and 2-3 spoons of honey is the best way to reduce sore throat. Honey alone is also helping in reducing the cough problem more effectively.
- When Ginger mixed with honey is taken regularly in the early morning, most of the digestive problems will be resolved.
Uses of honey for hair
- Those who suffer from dry and damaged hair problems, honey is the best option to cure those problems using simple ways.
- When it comes to the hair, dandruff, dry hair, weakness in hair follicles, hair fall are the basic problems. As honey contains antioxidant and antibacterial properties, it helps in strengthening the hair follicles and curbing hair fall.
- It also cleans the dirt and damaged hair with its antifungal property.
- Taking an excessive amount of honey causes symptoms like grey hair and wrinkles on face. So, it is always advisable to eat it in proper proportions.
Uses of honey for Eye
- Most of the eye caring products use honey in their compositions as it reduces the eye infections and inflammations.
- The antibacterial property of honey fights against the bacteria that causes the eye itching and infection.
Uses of honey for healing wounds and burns
- Honey has been used for hundreds of years because of its healing and antiseptic properties. Many studies revealed that honey is the best remedy for healing wounds and burns.
Other Uses of honey for health
- Honey keeps the body hydrated
- It regularizes the health conditions as it has special properties associated with it.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Useful for weight management
- Nourishes the skin and face
- Acts as a natural sleeping aid
- Increases the memory
As mentioned above, honey has the greatest health benefits as its natural, antiseptic, anti-bacterial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal properties help in all the ways for the human body and keeps us healthy at all times. So, having honey frequently in certain amounts is always a good habit that we must follow as it is a good replacement for sugar which in turn controls blood sugar.